We understand that many SEIU Healthcare members are experiencing a loss of income during the COVID-19 pandemic. Reasons for this include a loss in hours, being placed in quarantine or isolation, or having to take time off to care for a child or elder.
To help during this unprecedented time, we are offering eligible members a $75 Presidents Choice gift card to use towards essential needs.
Where can these gift cards be used?
- No Frills
- Real Canadian Superstore
- Joe Fresh
To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:
- A member of SEIU Healthcare
- Be in “good standing” for a 3 month period
- You are experiencing a reduction in wages due to any of the following situations:
- Self-isolation due to exposure to an individual who is positive for COVID-19;
- Government or employer mandated quarantine due to being positive for COVID-19;
- Inability to work due to child or elder care needs due to COVID-19 (or they are a primary care giver to a high-risk individual);
- Reduction of wages due to client cancellations or clients on hold, closure of workplace or unit, temporary lay off or being forced to select one workplace. To clarify:
- For homecare workers a loss of 10 hours or more per pay period;
- For members working at more than one workplace, that have been forced to choose one workplace due to COVID-19 (the workplace they have selected to work at must be a SEIU workplace).
- You will not qualify if you are experiencing a reduction of hours for the following reasons:
- Self-isolation due to travel outside of Canada after March 11th, 2020
- If your employer is paying your regular wages during isolation, quarantine, childcare or eldercare.
- If your reduction of wages is not due to the COVID-19
- If you are receiving administrative pay, vacation pay, sick pay, LTD benefits, WSIB benefits or any other employer-based benefit
Members must apply online using the form below or through the Member Resource Centre, 1-877-672-7348.
Members must provide any 2 of the following documents:
- ROE (record of employment) showing a temporary layoff after March 10th, 2020
- Copies of a schedule(s) showing a reduction in hours or shifts (ensure client information is not visible)
- Correspondence from your employer regarding reduction in hours (i.e. lay off notice, notice of temporary reductions, notice of department closure, a copy of the document indicating which workplace the member has selected to work at during the Pandemic, etc.);
- A confirmation from Service Canada that you have applied for any of the following:
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit
- Employment Insurance Benefits (EI)